Debates - 5/17/2021

 5/17/2021

Shimin Xu 

Period 9

Aim: To provide feedback on argumentative essay


Announcements:

  • May 20th AM Session in Person: Resolved that the use of recreational marijuana be legal in the entire United States has been moved to May 28th
  • May 20th AM Session replaced with a regular lesson and presentation
  • May 20th PM Session Virtually: Resolved that technological advances influence us for the better has been moved to May 25th
  • Argumentative thesis were graded and sent back with comments
  • June 4th is deadline for argumentative paper as well the submission of any work that has been redone
Peer Review:
  • The breakout rooms were opened and the students divided themselves into pairs with one group of three
  • Students were allowed to choose their partner but they could not have the same topic as you for their paper
  • Students created a copy of the Argument Peer Reviewer worksheet located on Google Classroom and shared the document and our argumentative drafts with our partners as well as the teacher
  • First, students are to read silently and filled out the worksheet, then they are to have a conversation with their partner to discuss both papers such as the things that they liked about each others and the things that need improvement
  • Students also made comments directly on their partners paper
  • The goal is to see the resolve and understand the stance of our partners resolve 

Peer reviewer worksheet page 1



Peer reviewer worksheet page 2




Reflection:

  • To improve our argumentative papers, on May 17, 2021, we peer reviewed our classmates' papers so that we get to see our papers from a different perspective. By looking at our papers in a new perspective, we can see things we did not originally notice and improve on things that need fixing. With the peer reviewing, we also get to help our classmates improve their papers and talk about both our topics and how improve in writing in general. With the feedback, we received, we can make changes as we see fit and take into account the opinion of a peer. We can also incorporate the new ideas provided by our classmate such as possible information regarding our own topic or possibly more reasons to strengthen our argument.
  • For me, through the review, I was able to see the little mistakes and refine my paper further. I also saw how, for example, how I had some grammatical errors scattered through my draft. I also took into account the counterarguments, my partner presented as well as more reasons for me to discuss or mention in my paper. I also noticed my paper did not provide a solution or provide citations, all of which I was able to fix with the help of my partner.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy Lifestyles 3/2/21